.

Listen to the Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.

Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, Anything can be.

-Shel Silverstein

Friday, April 6, 2012

Pirate Booty and Bedazzled Eggs

At the beginning of the school year, Thing 2 came home and asked if I could help in her classroom as a “Shopping Mom” one day. I hate other people’s sticky, snot-nosed, whiney children but the teacher was offering Pirate Booty for the kid’s prize bags. So, begrudgingly, I acquiesced to her request.



What Thing 2 forgot to communicate to me was that this was a weekly gig.

So here I am, 8 months later, still volunteering at the school 1 day a week just so my daughter could have some loot for her Booty Bag. Every Friday I go to the school and help the children shop for books.

Guess what I have learned? Other people’s kids aren’t so bad once you get to know them and...reading excites kids. They are so excited each week to pick out a new story to read, they handle their books like treasures. They laugh out loud during the funny parts. They get engrossed in mysteries and suspense. They love to read and I am glad to have had the opportunity to help them discover the amazing world of books.

I just hope they remember it as they grow older. All those feelings that a book can bring to the surface, the world it can create for you to get lost in. That is what reading…and writing…is all about.

Which brings me to my version of Pirate Booty. Amazon.com. Ahhhh….Amazon.

It was like Christmas morning when I opened my email and realized that my long awaited copy of Holly Black’s BLACK HEART had indeed been released and is on its way to my doorstep as we speak. Yeah me! Sequel’s are the gift that keeps on giving.

If any of you haven’t read the Curse Worker Trilogy, I highly recommend them. Holly has created a fantastic world of magic based on the mafia that is completely new—a refreshing break from the norm. Go team Cassel!

Until my book arrives, I am keeping myself busy with Gayle Forman’s WHERE SHE WENT, the sequel to IF I STAY, which is gut wrenching. Ben even loves these books. And, now that I have pried my copy of WHERE SHE WENT out of his hands, I am happily engrossed in the world of Adam Wilde and my heart hurts for him.

Has anyone out there read any of these books? What did you think?

Well, this weekend is a big one with Easter and all. Our rotten eggs have been dyed and bedazzled beyond repair so we are ready!

If you haven’t already, don’t forget about the Easter Contest for a free book of your choice!! There is still time to enter. Just. Click. HERE.

Have an amazing weekend everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment