.

Listen to the Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts.
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.

Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me.
Anything can happen, child, Anything can be.

-Shel Silverstein

Friday, March 16, 2012

Winners and a Sneak Peek

The moment of truth has arrived!

And the winners, selected by random drawing out of Thing 2’s homemade pottery bowl/mug/paperclip holder gizzy…

Jonni – signed copy of EVERNEATH
Tara - $15 Amazon Gift Card
Brenda - $10 Amazon Gift Card

Tara and Brenda, watch your email accounts for the Gift Certificates. Don’t delete them!

Thanks so much to everyone who entered and are now my new friends! I’m so glad to have you along this journey with me. And never fear, I will have a lot more give-a-ways coming up…including a signed copy of Bree Despain’s THE SAVAGE GRACE, her final book in the DARK DIVINE TRILOGY.

So, my friend Kaylie (who I am totally crushing on in a completely plutonic way at the moment) reviewed my manuscript and got her comments back to me this week. I am so excited to start working on my revisions. But I’m also overwhelmed. It’s hard to put work into something so massive and then have to go back and fix all your weak points because guess what…they are weak points for a reason. Because, um, if I didn’t suck at certain things I would have done it right the first time, no? Exactly. Nevertheless, I printed off my book and I’m digging in.

Someone tell me again why I thought this would be fun?

I thought I would leave you with a section of the book that I read last night and thought to myself—hey, that wasn’t total crap! So, here it is, hope you enjoy it…

He last saw her the day of the funeral, and it unnerved him how much she’d changed. The scene at the cemetery never left him—Austin letting Cameryn sob into his shirt, Dayne’s dad keeping his wife upright, people gossiping and jockeying for position. Macoy could count on one hand the number of people who loved Dayne enough to be there. Everyone else just wanted a front row seat to the Greek Tragedy of a Young and Untimely Death. The wailing, the grief, the god-awful smell of lilies and roses, heat beating down on the casket, the 8 x 3 cement prison hidden with crappy synthetic grass. Alone, those things were bad enough. Together, they crushed him. He found a tree to lean against for support. Survival. The tree would get him through. Even after everyone but the family had gone, he stayed melded against the bark, unable to move. Cameryn saw him then. She marched over, pausing just long enough to narrow her eyes before her hand struck his face.

“Couldn’t you at least pretend to cry? This is all your fault!”

Long brown hair whipped him in the face as she turned on her heel and stormed to the mortuary limousine. The accusation, finally verbalized, echoed through the hallowed grounds. Her black-nylon clad leg tucking itself inside the car was the last thing he saw of her.

Until tonight.


Have a great St. Patty's Day Weekend everyone. I will be hosting Thing 2's birthday party so I'm sure whatever you're doing will be better than that!

4 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! I never win anything! Thanks cam! Can't wait to read your whole book! So glad you are blogging again. I missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too. You totally make me want to start working on my book again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda and Jonni--my pleasure. Thank you!

    Kaylie--write away! *says the girl submerged in self loathing and despair at the moment*

    ReplyDelete